In the early 1900's, a group of farmers came by horse and buggy to Trenton to sell their produce along what is now Route #29. They came in horse and buggy and traveled from all over our Garden State. In 1939 the farmers incorporated into The Trenton Market Growers Co-op Association, Inc. and purchased land on Spruce Street in Lawrence Township. They did this in anticipation of the City of Trenton needing the area they occupied to build roads for motor vehicles.
In June, 1948 they proudly opened the existing Market on Spruce Street. Outdoor stalls gave way to an indoor facility with overhead doors to give the Market its open, outdoor look as soon as the beautiful weather comes. The Market branched into the sale of other foods such as fresh meats, baked goods, poultry, plants, flowers, decorations, jewelry and even apparel to provide a full complement of shopping for customer convenience.